Safeguarding Policy for St Kentigern, Crosthwaite, Keswick
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
• Promoting a safer environment and culture.
• Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
• Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
• Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
• Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
• Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
• Create a safe and caring place for all.
• Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
• Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse. Disclosure and Barring Service checks are included in this process.
• Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
• Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
• Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
• Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
• Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
• Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
• Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
• Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
Mrs Linda Tee has been appointed as the Parish Safeguarding Officer.
Revd Andy Murphie
If you have any concerns about Safeguarding please contact the Parish Safeguarding Officer Mrs Linda Tee on 017687 72285 or email@example.com or the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, Charles Proctor, on 07458 016884 firstname.lastname@example.org
If you believe a child to be at immediate risk you must contact Cumbria Children’s Services 0333 240 1727 or the Police.
Urgent concerns about vulnerable adults should be referred to your local District Adult Social Care office 0300 303 2704 or,
out of normal office hours, the Emergency Duty Team 01228 526690, or the Police.